Wednesday, August 18, 2010

It's all getting Closer...


It is absolutely crazy how fast the summer has gone by. I see that I wrote my last post at the end of June and now it is the middle of August... HOLY MAN! It all started off a little slow but soon enough it zipped past our eyes like no other. I only have three days before I start my orientation in Syracuse for my year of volunteering in Costa Rica. I thought I better fill y'all in on a few things that I have accomplished... or well at least attempted to accomplish before I get too far behind.

Here we go:

I actually didn't do too much this summer besides train for my half marathon and study for the not soo fun of a test MCAT. I worked a few odd jobs to get a little cash flow. Got a few dirty looks from the kids I called out on a pitch that might have been a little over their head...oh well it was only Summer Rec. Tasted a few good samples for Schwans that landed me $15 bucks each time. Stayed cool in the midst of the power washers while cleaning up those trucks and lastly worked on my tan by picking rock and bailing straw for the Regniers... haha thanks Chad! Anyway... they all helped out over the summer and who doesn't like a little physical labor here and there!

I mentioned that I studied and took the MCAT... not the greatest experience in my life...all I can say is better luck next time? I find out the score here at the end of the month so who knows, maybe it wasn't too rough. It was a difficult test but now I know and if need be, will be even more prepared for the next time I need to sit in front of computer for five hours and pull my hair out.

One of the highlights of the summer was running a successful half marathon. I think it was easier than the MCAT. I would have never thought... as would many others... that I would run 13.1 without stopping.. WHEW! I did it though and in a time of 2 hours and 15 seconds. Not too shabby! I ran it with a few friends from school and we all did great! I am thinking of keepin the training up while in Costa Rica. Go run a few mountains or volcanoes and come back and do a full marathon... don't hold your breath though :)

After taking the test and running marathon... it allowed me to focus on my packing for Costa Rica. I took my test the 5th of august, ran the 7th and was leaving for the east coast on the 11th. I didn't pack at all until after I was done with my test and the run so... I was cutting it close. I didn't have too hard of a time this time around unlike when I went to Guate. Packed my backpacking bag, a carry on and my book bag. Hopefully it will be enough... we will see!

So the 9th I spent my last night at home for the year which was a weird feeling. On the 10th I left home to head up to the cities to have one last family outing before I got on my plane to leave for the east coast. I had a great time hitting up the Mall of America and sitting in long lines for some rides. Was a blast! Also we hit up the links on the mini golf course and then ended up losing Mom in the mirror maze and having to call in the rescue team! We then headed out to Joe Sensors for dinner where Kirby, Becky and Megan all joined us for supper. Thanks again guys for being their to spend my last night in Minnesota! After a goodbye to my brother, a quick trip to Walmart of some essentials, a struggle with a sleeping bag (in which it won) I closed my eyes and to my last night in Minnesota.

It was an early wake up to catch the shuttle to the airport to stand in more long lines. Soon enough it was the time I had been dreading... saying my goodbyes to the people I care about the most. One of the most difficult things I have had to do! It was my luck that the lines started to go faster too so I was even rushed. It was quick goodbye but it maybe was for the best.. I probably would have been a huge mess otherwise.

Soon enough I was through security and kinda jogging to my gate because I was a wee bit late. Jumped on and was on my way to Allentown PA where Mary Todd was there to pick me up. We headed out to Trail's End Camp where I spent four days hanging out with some more friends before I leave. Had a blast seeing my campers from previous years and hittin up the Big A with those friends that I see once in a blue moon.

After camp Sara Fetterfoof and I got in the car and road tripped up to see Corey Bailey. I am currently in Good Ole Elmira NY, livin the dream. Did a little site seeing of Mark Twain and Ernie Davis' grave, did a little putt putt, walked a Gorge and hit up the Sand Dollar. Corey has been a great tour guide that is for sure!

Tomorrow we are headed up to Buffalo to relax on a lake and then off to Syracuse to begin the long awaited adventure! I have been truly blessed with such a great summer and family and friends that mean so much! No one could ask for anything more! I will keep you posted when things get a little closer...

Till then!

No comments:

Post a Comment